Monospot Test

Print this article
Share this page:
Also known as: Mononucleosis spot test; mononuclear heterophil test; heterophil antibody test; Mono test
Formal name: Heterophil antibody titre
Related tests: Tests for antibodies to Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) antigens, Paul-Bunnell test

At a Glance

Why Get Tested?

To get screened for infectious mononucleosis (glandular fever). 

When to Get Tested?

If you have symptoms of mononucleosis, including fever, sore throat, swollen glands, and fatigue. (The monospot test is not useful to detect EBV in children.)

Sample Required?

A blood sample taken from a vein in your arm

Test Preparation Needed?